.

.

Learn also

Learn Computer BasicsLearn computer Basics and download usefull tutorial.

Increase Your KnowledgeUsefull informations.Get knowledge and spread it to others.

Build your own computerBuild your computer system yourself by following easy steps.

Basic Computer CourcesBasic computer cources and internet usage.

Link Exchange....................

Friday, July 24, 2009

Body idioms

English idioms connected with parts of the body.
The heart
break someone's heart = upset someone greatly: "She broke his heart when she left him."
learn something off by heart = learn something completely: "I've learnt this off by heart – I'm bound to pass the exam!"
you're all heart! = when you tell someone sarcastically how kind they are: "Thanks for giving me all this work – you're all heart!"
hand on heart = promise with sincerity: "Hand on heart, it's the honest truth."
have the heart = be able to give someone bad news: "I didn't have the heart to tell him he'd failed."
a heart of gold = be a very kind person: "She'll always help – she has a heart of gold."
Hands
hand over = pass on something: "Before I leave, I have to hand over all my work."
get out of hand = become impossible to manage: "You'll have to deal with this problem before it gets out of hand."
know something like the back of your hand = know something extremely well: "He knows London like the back of his hand."
have your hands full = be very busy: "I can't do anything about it now – my hands are full."
in hand = under control: "The company report is in hand – you'll have it next week."
live hand to mouth = only earn enough money for food: "After he lost his job, he had to live hand to mouth for a couple of months."
give someone a hand = help someone: "He always gives me a hand with the housework."
have someone in the palm of your hand = have influence over someone: "He's got her in the palm of his hand."
be caught red-handed = be caught doing something bad: "The children were caught red-handed picking the flowers."
Fingers
butter fingers = be clumsy and drop things: "You've dropped my vase! Butter fingers!"
keep your fingers crossed = wish something for someone: "Keep your fingers crossed for me tomorrow – it's my job interview."
under your thumb = control someone: "She's got him under her thumb – he won't do anything without asking her first."
Arms
twist someone's arm = persuade someone: "I didn't want to go out, but he twisted my arm."
cost an arm and a leg = cost a fortune: "The car cost an arm and a leg – it'll take them ages to pay back the loan."
Feet and legs
put your foot in it = say or do something you shouldn't: "I think I've put my foot in it – I told her about the party."
have itchy feet = not able to settle down in one place: "She's going off travelling again – she's got really itchy feet."
keep someone on their toes = keep someone alert: "Our teacher keeps us on our toes – we have to pay attention in class."
stand on your own two feet = be independent: "I don't need your help – I can stand on my own two feet."
have two left feet = be awkward or clumsy: "He's a terrible dancer – he's got two left feet!"
walk on eggshells = be careful about what you say or do: "She's in a terrible mood – you'll have to walk on eggshells around her."
foot the bill = pay the bill: "He had to foot the bill for the party."
The back
go behind someone's back = do something secretly: "She went behind my back and told my boss I wanted a new job."
back off = stop trying to force someone to do something: "Will you just back off and let me decide what I should do!"
back down = accept defeat: "He finally backed down and let me buy a pet rabbit."
back someone up = support someone: "Thank you for backing me up in the meeting."
put your back into something = work very hard at something: "She put her back into it and got good results."
stab someone in the back = betray someone: "Be careful of him – he'll stab you in the back if it gets him what he wants."

0 comments:

Post a Comment | Feed

Post a Comment



 

English Point Copyright © 2009 Premium Blogger Dashboard Designed by SAER